The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Dsx Street Dance Men's shoes Casual shoes Ankle Leather Keep Warm Black White Gun color, brown, EU39 UK6 CN39Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Hammond & Co. By Patrick Grant Men Natural 'Yale' Boat shoesFMWLST Boots Autumn Men'S Men'S Casual Tooling shoes With Men'S PU shoesGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Pod Men's Angus Lace-up shoes Blacksince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Geox U620LD 000NC Sneakers ManCouple Fluorescent shoes LED Fiber Light shoes Rechargeable Flashing Lights shoes Men And Women Sports shoes colorful Luminous Casual USB
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.ZQ@QXLeather casual shoes Outdoor men high help board shoes male boots trend Martin Boots
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Adidas Yung 96 shoes FTWR White Grey TwoGuess Sneaker Fulvia - FLFUL4 LEL10 Flavia - 40(EU) - 6.5UK(EU) - BlackAdidas Superstar 80's Primeknit Men's Sneaker Black White Size 49 1 3 UK 13
Thunder Snow (20-1):Adidas Men's's Terrex CMTK Low Rise Hiking Boots bluee This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Superga Women's 2790-COTWSTONEWASH Trainers, pink (Pink Skin W6y), 4
- Ash Womens Virgin Moon Leather Trainers
- Unlisted by Kenneth Cole Men's N Half Ankle Boot
- WWJDXZ Trainers Casual Men's shoes PU Black Four Seasons Can Wear Board shoes
- Le Chameau Guetre 2 Basic gaiters
- Steve Madden Men's's Cove Waterproof Chukka Boot
- Black-eu38 LXIE Pakamo Summer Men's Leather Sandals Closed-Toe Comfortable Beach Slippers Walking Trekking Outdoor Sports Sandals Men's shoes, EU 42
- Black Leather Aerosoles Womens Frame of Mind Pump
- Lucksender Womens Round Toe Faux Fur Bowkont Mid-calf Snow Boots
- Unm Women's Comfort Rhinestone Round Toe Driving Cars Buckled D'Orsay Flats shoes with Ankle Strap
- Women Sandals High Heels shoes Ladies Sexy Big Size Leather Sandals High Heels,zk007-black,4
- Steve Madden Women's Ecntrcqt Fashion Sneaker
- My Little Nest Women's Top Handle Satchel Handbag Watercolor Wild Flower Tropical Palm Ladies PU Leather Shoulder Bag Crossbody Bag
- L@YC Women's High Heels Spring Summer Fall Open Toe Satin Wedding Party & Evening Dress
- Ghssheh Women's Retro Buckle Strap Stacked Block Low Heel Snow Ankle Booties Round Toe Lace Up Short Martin Boots Khaki 6 M US
- Harley-Davidson Women's purple Work Boot