The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Zgshnfgk - Women's Elastic Side Panel Ankle Booties - Comfortable Closed Toe shoes - Low Heel Comfortable Walking BootiesClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Fashion Heel Faux Suede Womens Round Toe High Heel Platform Handmade Black Over the Knee BootAugust Jim Women Loafers shoes,Soft Leather Leisure Comfort Flats Walking shoesGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Msanlixian Sandals Women Hollow Out Breathable Slides Ethnic Genuine Leather shoes Casualsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
TAOFFEN Women Block Heel Ankle Boots ZipperFANIMILA Women Fashion Flat Summer shoes Plaid Sandals
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Havaianas Womens White Slim Brasil Logo Flip Flops
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
KemeKiss Women Autumn Bootie ZipperSummer Non-Slip Flip-Flops Sandals Women Indoor Outdoor Fashion High Heels Platform SlippersWinter Cotton Slippers Cartoon Pikachu Anti-Slip Home Rubber Soles Ultra Warm Slipper Indoor Outdoor Slip On shoes
Thunder Snow (20-1):Winter Platform shoes Outdoor Home SlippersFur Slides House Sandals Fuzzy Slippers Loafers Bow This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- SEERTED Yorkshire Terrier and Ice Cream Repeat Slip On Canvas shoes for Women
- Meet at Summer-heeled samndals Sandals Transparent PVC Platform Super high Heels shoes Party Prom shoes
- SFSYDDY Popular shoes Martin Boots with High 5Cm Sharp Head Short Tube Front Zip Thick Heel Short Boots.
- YDN Women Formal Block Heel Cutout Pumps Round Toe Slip On Patent Basic Office Dress shoes
- Men's Summer Casual Hole Leather shoes Baotou Sandals Fashion Outdoor shoes Beach Men's shoes
- SHOES SAUCONY S70368-10 BLACK JAZZ
- Icebug Men's Acceleritas4 RB9X Traction Running shoes
- Ailj Snow Boots, Ladies Outdoor Leather Plush Boots Waterproof Non-Slip Warm Boots Thick Cotton Boots (5 colors) (color Black, Size 37 EU 5 US 4 UK 23.5cm JP)
- Women's shoes, 2019 New Spring Fall Leather Fashion Ladies shoes Sexy Pointed Fine Heel High Heels Wild Zipper Deep Mouth Single shoes,A,37
- Cole Haan Mens Nelson Plain Ox Ii Oxford
- HYF Men's Oxford shoes Athletic Handmade Sneakers Casual Style Low-Side Breathable Lace Up Running shoes Dress shoes for Men
- YIWANGO Summer Men's Mesh Climbing shoes Sports Outdoor Mountain shoes Slip On Sneakers Hiking Walking Trekking Footwear
- Nike Men's Zoom Oneshot Sb Multisport Outdoor shoes
- Mens Working Safety Boots Steel Toe Desert Combat Boots Breathable Outdoor Predective Footwear Sneaker
- Cruyff Montanya Mens Dark Grey Trainers Sport shoes Football (Montanya Dark Grey)
- color C JQfashion Women Heels Platform shoes Spring Autumn Women Pumps Thin Heels Sexy Slim Party shoes High Heels